Why Purchase Travel Insurance?
COVID 19, hurricanes, fires, floods, wars, accidents, canceled flights and lost luggage continue to remind us that the best organized travel plans can be disrupted within in a moment.
If you are like me, you work hard to save for your much anticipated vacations and cannot afford to lose this money. For this reason, along with 24/7 travel assistance/support provided, we always include the cost of travel insurance in our trip budget for our personal international trips.
Travel Insurance protects yourself, your family, your personal belongings, and your travel investment in the case of unforeseen circumstances and provides options to limit your out-of-pocket costs.
Besides peace of mind, consider purchasing travel insurance whenever you can’t afford to lose your travel investment and especially when traveling internationally when your current health insurance policy or Medicare may not be applicable.
Read on for;
- Top 3 Reasons to Purchase Travel Insurance
- Top 6 Travel Protection Myths
Top 3 Reasons to purchase Travel Protection
1) Cancellation – If you have to cancel your trip for a covered reason you can be reimbursed for pre-paid non-refundable costs.
2) Medical Coverage – It is not uncommon for travelers to get sick when traveling internationally. Travel insurance can provide coverage and save your out-of-pocket costs for medical expenses that your current health insurance or medica policies may not cover. Travel insurance can also help pay for costs if you have to be medically evacuated as purchasing last minute commercial or private transportation can be very expensive.
3) Personal Belongings – Travel insurance offers coverage for theft or lost luggage, personal belongings and passports.
Top 6 Travel Protection Myths;
1) Credit Card Myth – If you have a credit card, you don’t need travel protection Fact – Credit cards may not offer the amount and type of coverage that travel protection plans offer
Travel protection though credit card companies may only cover certain travel incident and may only cover cost that have been paid for with that card. A travel protection plan can provide you with more coverage and options.
2) Airline Myth – Airlines always cover costs due to canceled flights
Fact – Airlines may not be able to help travelers who are forced to cancel
If a flight gets canceled or delayed, the passenger may bear the costs of hotel accommodations, food, or re-booking. Trip Cancellation and Travel Delay coverage can help with the airline cannot.
3) Short Trip Myth – You don’t need travel protection for short trips
Fact – An incident can occur, no matter how long the trip is
An accident or medical emergency can occur whether you are away for a few days or a few weeks. If something were to happen, a traveler may have to stay in a hospital in a foreign country or arrange last minute and expensive transportation home on their own. Travel protection plans can help you with this.
4) Automatic refund Myth – If you cancel your trip, you will be refunded without the help of travel insurance
Fact – Travel protection plans are more affordable than you may think
Some people may feel that travel protection is an extra expense that they do want to pay for in addition to the costs of their trip. Protecting your trip can be a small price to pay for the amount of coverage you receive not to mention the peace of mind.
5) Expensive Myth – The costs add too much of an extra expense to the trip
Fact - Travel protection plans are more affordable than you may think
Some people may feel that travel protection is an extra expense that they simply do not want to pay for in addition to the costs for their trip. Protecting your trip can be a small price to pay for the amount of coverage you receive. There are no do overs for a bad vacation.
6. Coverages Myth – Coverage only covers actual travel costs
Fact – Travel insurance can cover all applicable non-refundable costs associated with your trip such as air, hotel, ground transportation, conference or convention registration, tours, show and attraction tickets
Make sure to add these additional travel related costs into your total trip costs when getting an insurance quote.
Thank you to Travel Insured International for providing some of this information.
“Travel Insurance coverage only applies during the covered trip. You may have coverage for other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of your travel insurance policy with your existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies. If you have any questions about your coverage, call your insurer or insurance agent or broker. The Travel Retailer offering this insurance may not be individually licensed and are not qualified to answer technical questions about the benefits, exclusions, and conditions of the travel insurance plan. They cannot evaluate the adequacy of the prospective insured’s existing insurance coverage.”
Purchasing travel insurance is not required in order to purchase any other product or service offered by the travel retailer.”
Share the knowledge
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Notes from your travel advisor... more about Dan