Hello fellow ocean cruisers. Is cruising your passion and your favorite vacation style? Have you already explored the vast ocean cruises and are now itching for something fresh, unique, and yet equally captivating? Here's a thought - let's switch currents and embark on a River Cruise while still unpacking just once!
No, it's not lesser, just different. Imagine an intimate luxury barge with a 5-star hotel on top loaded with local food, beverages, and culinary delights navigating through serene river paths at a leisurely pace. This is experiential travel tailored for those seeking intimate encounters with remarkable destinations.
So, are you ready for this rich tapestry of new sceneries and splendid culture?
Sit tight and take a full breath as we steer you through our top 15 reasons why Ocean Cruisers will love River Cruising.
1) No waves: No seasickness and No Motion of the Ocean
2) Much smaller and Intimate Ships: Most river cruise ships are long and narrow with 4 or less decks as they need to navigate under the same bridges and through the same locks. Most ships accommodate 146 -200 guests plus staff compared to mass-market mega ocean cruise ships holding 4,000 and more guests and staff.
3) Inclusive Pricing: Accommodations, shore excursions, Wi-Fi, specialty coffees, bottled water, onboard entertainment and cultural activities along with happy hours, and wine and beer with meals are included in your cruise fare.
4) No Formal Nights or Reserved Seating: Dining is relaxed with casual dress and atmosphere onboard, more like a country club experience.
5) Up Close and Personal: Dock in heart of towns and villages and step into local culture with authentic experiences.
6) No Crowds, No Lines and No Waiting: You'll enjoy freedom of movement when and where you want
7) Focused on Adults: While children ages 12 and over are welcome on most ships, programing and activities are focused on adults. Some cruise lines do offer special sailings with a family theme in the summer, but most cruise cabins only accommodate 2 guests.
8) Local Beer and Wine included with all Meals: Some cruise lines offer beverage packages onboard, but alcoholic beverages are nominally priced and you're welcome to bring onboard your own beverages to be enjoyed in your cabin. Many ships also host Bon- Voyage and Farewell hosted cocktail parties included in your cruise fare.
9) New Ports of Call: – Most ports you’ll visit can only be seen from river cruise ships as there is no way to reach these river cruise ports on mega ocean cruise ships
10) Castle Views: You’ll see an abundance of medieval castles on Danube and Rhine River cruises, and many are open for visitors.
11) No Need to Rush Back: Often during your cruise your ship will overnight at the city docks or have late afternoon or evening departures so can fully enjoy your time and local nightlife in port.
12) Taste the difference: Smaller 4- and 5-star ships and guest numbers mean chefs can get creative with more emphasis on local recipes, ingredients, fresh fruit and cooking styles for exceptional culinary experiences. Enjoy local wines, beers, cheeses and fruits onboard. No mass produced and basic buffets.
13) Bicycles onboard: Many cruise lines and ships carry bikes onboard so guests can enjoy biking through vineyards and along the historic towns and village riverbanks with views of castles and landmark structures (check your ship and cruise line in advance to see if they do carry bikes)>
14) Themed Cruises: Popular themes include wine, beer, history, religion, heritage, Christmas markets, famous writers and authors.
15) Variety of River Cruise Destinations: River cruising has really grown in popularity with itineraries now available throughout Europe, USA, Asia and Egypt and even the Amazon...If a river runs through it then you can usually find a river cruise ship.
Best way to book a River Cruise: Like ocean cruising there are so many choices in itineraries, seasons, cruise lines, ships and cabins that is best to work with an experienced Travel Agent specializing in River Cruises so they can educate and guide you to the best options that meets your goals, desires and budget.
For more information check out our dedicated webpage on River Cruising.
Share the knowledge
Notes from your travel advisor... more about Dan