Considering about a family vacation for the holidays? Where to go and what to do?
No worries, my family always traveled for the holidays and here are my top 5 Family Friendly Holiday Destinations.
Kids don’t worry as Santa always knows where you’ll be so will never miss out on presents or a visit by St. Nick by being away from home. Your entire family will have a great time and make incredible memories at these amazing destinations.
#familyvacations #holiday travel, #ski trips #bestvacationever
1) Ski Vacation: Nothing beats a family ski holiday. Seeing the beautiful mountains, snowy landscapes and decorated ski villages and you will feel like walked into a Hallmark Christmas movie. The allure of fresh powder and great runs is overwhelming for an avid skier or snowboarder.
However, you don’t have to be a skier to enjoy a winter wonderland as many of the top resort destinations offer family friendly activities like snow tubing, gondola rides, ice skating, ice fishing, sledding, snowmobiling and not to be missed... a horse-drawn sleigh ride in the snow.
Many of the ski villages offer unique Christmas celebrations such as Christmas concerts and shows, decorated Santa's village, sleigh rides, light shows, ice skating and much more
Top ski resort family friendly activities are: NorthStar at Lake Tahoe, Sun Valley, Idaho, Jackson Hole, WY, Stowe, Vermont, Snowmass, Snowmass, Steamboat Springs, Breckenridge and Vail in Co and Whistler, BC.
2) Christmas/New Year’s Caribbean Cruise: If you’re like me you may not have ever thought about taking a cruise over Christmas or New Years. However, if you don’t have kids or they are grown and don’t need to have presents under the tree this may be an excellent option.
I have some clients that take a cruise every Christmas and New Years and now I know why as you don’t have to plan, shop and spend hours preparing a meal, serving or cleaning up.
Onboard your ship, everything is taken care of and you’re the guest of honor to enjoy the ship, food, entertainment, tropical ports of call allowing more time for good quality family bonding. Yes, definetley consider a cruise for an easy and relaxing warm holiday getaway. You'll enjoy minimal planning and lots of fun options onboard.
3) New York City: The iconic city that never sleeps and home of the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.
New York City is simply magical during the holidays and the embodiment of all things Christmas. From the beautiful department store window dressings on park avenue to the fabulous FAO Schwartz Toy store, to Macy’s Department store and of course the Rockefeller Christmas Tree.
Not to be missed: Pop up Christmas markets on streets, hot chestnuts, horse drawn carriage past the Plaza (where they filmed the Home Alone 2 movie), walk into the lobbies of the 5 star hotels for magical holiday displays and gingerbread cities. Be sure to check out Radio City’s Christmas Spectacular with the world famous Rockettes which is my all time favorite Christmas activity. If you can’t make it NYC then other big cities like Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco do a great job over the holidays with many exciting events, décor and festivals.
4) European Christmas Market Cruise: Fairytales and dreams come to life during a Rhine or Danube European River Cruise while visiting the traditional village Christmas markets. Christmas markets have been a tradition in German, Austria and Hungary towns for centuries.
The town squares and major buildings are all lighted with lots of booths for sweet treats and Christmas ornaments and of course Hot Glühwein (a spiced wine that is served hot). I prefer visiting these markets on a river cruise ship so only have to unpack once but can easily see them on your own via car or train. You’ll love the atmosphere, warmth and fun of these Christmas markets.
Hint; most of the Christmas markets close right before Christmas so take this cruise from late November to just before Christmas...If wish to stay over Christmas you will have an incredible time in Austria or Praque on this holiday.
5) South Florida Tropical Christmas: If you have not been to South Florida over the holidays then you are missing out on seeing lighted Palm Trees, tropical displays and illuminated boat parades. Fort Lauderdale, FL is home to the annual Winterfest Boat Parade which is billed as the “Greatest Show on H2O”. The 12 mile long boat parade boasts over 100 boats with decorations, carolers and entertainment and cruises through the city canals and intracoastal waterway with an audience of over 1 million. It is broadcast on TV and is quite the show and holiday experience.
From Palm Beach to Miami, Fl there are plenty of fun Christmas tropical decorations including Sandy – West Palm Beach’s 30 ft high sand sculpture tree. You'll love being on the beach on Christmas day working on your suntan. Other warm weather destinations that offer a warm weather flair for the holidays along with lighted palm trees are Phoenix/Scottsdale, Palm Springs and San Diego. .
Thank you for indulging. What are your favorite Christmas and Holiday destinations? Let me know so can share with others and add them to my list?
Share the knowledge
Notes from your travel advisor... more about Dan